Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 07:40:25 EET

Pete Bessman wrote:
> At Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:42:31 +0900,
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>Nice attitude. While this ethic is understandable it doesn't help
>>progressions very much.
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> The progressions of what? My attitude may be *indirectly* detrimental
> to Linux Sampler (which I doubt, because Specimen is the first program
> above 500 lines I've ever written; I would just hinder those guys).
> It is _not_ detrimental to the Linux Audio Scene, and it is beneficial
> to Specimen. And I daresay that by devoting myself to Specimen I am
> improving the LAS, but perhaps I'm an egomaniac.
>
> If what I'm doing does hurt LinuxSampler (yeah, right...), I can't say
> I feel any remorse. If that makes me a jerk in your eyes, so be it.

Actually I completely understand where you are coming from. You have
invested a lot of energy into getting specimen out the door. To a degree
your your ethos is intrinsically wound into it's existence.

The thing is your attitude is of leaning towards the I'm sooooo cool
because I wrote my own app persuasion. Drop the hate and we can all move on.

You've obviously got a lot of energy to give. It's how you choose to
channel it that counts.

>>Maybe now you've had a couple of days to think
>>rationally about it you have changed your mind anyway.
>

> Apart from Evil Laughter(TM), which I thought was funny, I couldn't
> see one thing irrational about my statement. The gist of it was "It
> makes more sense to improve a living project than to have maintainers
> of said project contribute to the creation of what is currently a
> castle in the sky."

Which turns out to be complete BS. Linux sampler is alive and you just
wrote the project off because you couldn't be bothered doing a small
amount of research.

> Asking me to pool my efforts with SimSam's author
> makes sense to me(until you account for the fact that I don't know QT
> and hate C++, hence Specimen), but I don't see why I should drop my
> project and work on LinuxSampler.

NO one asked you to drop anything. Why are you so defensive? I was
merely suggesting you could do a lot of good by contributing some of
your energy to a project which is a very good idea.

> And if you took offense to my intent to whore their code, remember
> that this is a two way street and they can just as easily (and I
> encourage it) whore my code. The absolute number one reason I started
> writing Specimen was because I couldn't find anything that did what I
> wanted already (and at the time I thought SimSam was dead, plus the
> aforementioned reasons for not working on that). Whatever produces
> the best tool for the job is fine by me. Naturally I want that to be
> my tool, and I obviously think it will or else I wouldn't be doing
> this, but it's not like my opinion of LinuxSampler is anything but my
> honest-to-dog pragmatic evaluation.

We are not all born equal. Personally I'm happy if my tool does what I
need it to do. If other people have success with it too then bonus.
Unless that person is my girlfriend. Than I'm totally willing to be the
pleasure device...

> P.P.S. Mark: I'm amazed that what I thought was merely an expression
> of a negative opinion is considered "going off." Puh-lease.

Well now you have so if you go any further take a packed lunch ok.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street. Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM