Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Some music made with Linux
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_comcast.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 07:49:45 EET

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 21:14, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Except JACK :)

<hehe!!> Well...yes!

> > http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files/Glass1.ogg
> >
> > A part of this is done using LS
> >
> > http://marksmusic.myvnc.com/files/LS_Bounce-2003-12-21.ogg
> >
> > This is the Bardstown Bosendorfer Gig running by itself as a test case
> > in LS.
> >
> > MIDI was done in Pro Tools and all audio was recording in Pro Tools at
> > 44.1K.
>
> Yes. I just downloaded and installed it too. Also took some time to read
> the draft of the documentation. Hardly a draft IMO (23 pages).

That's the network protocol document, right? Not being a programmer I've
never read it I'm afraid to say.

> I guess people are just jumping to conclusions that Linux sampler is a
> dead project.

I think so.

> After taking the time to do this I'm wondering if Linux sampler is the
> project for me. I could easily do some work on a gui.

Please get in contact with Rui. I beleive he is interested in the same
thing.

> But I prefer to
> work with wavefiles

Gig files are collections of wave file. Once they are inside the sampler
you are dealing with waves. Learn the Gig format and get access to lots
of wave files.

> and because I have no midi instruments maybe
> linxsampler is overkill for my needs.

Well, not, not really. LS is a MIDI instrument, and you can get lots of
MIDI files from other people or out of the web to play with. But as far
as a live DJ tool I don't see it helping with that much right now.

> The concept is rock solid though.
>
> Buffer a small amount of the file into ram and then stream from disk.
>
> Lets see. I have alsaplayer which needs sample accurate playback and tX
> which needs to stream from disk instead of RAM. Maybe I'll work on those
> today instead.
>
> Although I do agree with Eric that written code is worth it's weight in
> gold.

Absolutely true!