[linux-audio-user] how to make usb audio sit nicely with jack?

Subject: [linux-audio-user] how to make usb audio sit nicely with jack?
From: Kent, Gary (gkent_AT_mhc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 16:28:09 EET

Hi:
        I set up my USB 2-channel audio interface (Event EZbus) this
weekend. Amazingly, when I plugged it in, up comes this panel asking me
if I wanted to configure it! I didn't expect to get even this much for
something that had no driver! After a day of working with it, it came
down to 2 choices:

        1) I could have my usb audio interface working, but not at the
same time as jack or any jack dependent programs that I had set up (such
as zynaddsubfx, muse). Also, jack gives 'pcm' errors and then shuts
down.

        2) modify my /etc/modules.conf file to allow jack programs to
work, and also my USB audio interface (but no tracking /dev/dsp
device), but with awful cracking upon playback.

        I think I am having 'pcm' troubles, but am not sure. I am still
trying to learning all of the modprobe commands. But I could really use
some help on this. I feel like I am so close to kissing Macs goodbye if
I can just get this to work. Below is my /etc/modules.conf file (I
commented out any oss and rmmod-ed them). If I choose option 1 above I
still get insmod errors at bootup, but all still works, except for jack
as mentioned.

I guess I should mention that there is currently a SBLive! card
installed in a PCI slot also, but I am trying to bypass it and use only
my USB device, even though I left it in its PCI slot on the motherboard.

alias eth0 e100
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.1 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-usb-audio
#alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
#alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
#alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
#alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
#alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

add options -k snd-card-0

# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || : pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f
/etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

        I would really be grateful for any help someone could give,
        Thanks in advance,

gk