Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,
From: Joe Hartley (jh_AT_brainiac.com)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2004 - 14:15:06 EET

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 10:12:55 +0000
Anahata <anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk> wrote:
> > I knew a band who used to keep a crappy tape player in their studio,
> > the portable kind that has built-in speakers either end. When they'd
> > finished a mix, they would run off a cassette copy and play it back
> > on this machine to see if it still sounded good.
>
> This is common practice. Also switching to small "lo-fi" speakers in the
> control room and sticking a cassette mix in the car sound system to
> listen to on the way home from the session or wherever.

I swear by this approach. I routinely come up with a mix that I think
sounds good, only to take in the car and have it sound like garbage.
Part of that is that by the time I get to the final mix in the studio,
I've worked on it for hours and my ears are just tired. I've spent so
long on focusing on individual parts and tweaking the EQs that I lose
track of the piece as a whole.

There's nothing like taking the mix elsewhere to get perspective on it,
and if it holds up on a mediocre system, then I know I have something.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh_AT_brainiac.com