Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] drum loops, samples,
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 03:18:58 EET

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 10:30 am, Daniel James wrote:
> Although this can be an effect in its own right - last week we were
> trying out LADSPA Tape Delay, trying to get the sound of a Watkins
> Copicat (explanatory picture follows for the post-analogue
> generation):

Did you manage to faithfully reproduce that warm muffled warble of worn tape?
I love that sound. And I hope you chose from a range of 4 set delay times
too :-) It always amazed me how they were precisely the right timings nearly
every time.

> Using a short delay and about 2 taps, we managed to get the sound we
> were after. Maybe we need a user-contributed bank of presets for all
> the LADSPA plugins - it's much easier to get started from a good
> basic effect.

Now that sounds like (sic) a really good idea.

I haven't found the good documentation for LADSPA yet, I've been hosting them
with ecasound and it would be useful to know how to specify parameters as
well as names & numbers, which I have sussed. Any leads welcomed.

I find some of the names of the plugins a bit obscure, not being a techie or
sound engineer as such, I mean "Barry's Satan Maximizer" sounds great, but
what does it DO?

cheers

tim hall