Re: [linux-audio-user] FINALE 2000 - WINE ???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] FINALE 2000 - WINE ???
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 2004 - 11:33:22 EET

On Wednesday 03 Mar 2004 12:49 pm, robcanning wrote:
> i had another look but still can't see anything up to scratch

No, there isn't anything comparable to Finale.

Lilypond can do almost everything you mention, with extremely good
results -- it compares very favourably to Finale -- but it is not a
GUI application. There are various other GUI programs that can help
write Lilypond files (NoteEdit, Rosegarden and Denemo are your best
bets) but none is as WYSIWYG or has such complete support as you
would need, and certainly none is able to read Finale files. (Of
course you could use Recordare's Dolet plugin to get MusicXML from
Finale and import that -- NoteEdit is currently the only one of the
above able to import MusicXML.)

But if I were a serious Finale user I'd stick to trying to get it to
work under Wine for now.

> the link to mscore seems to be broken, or the page is down...

Looks to have disappeared. I'd rather like to know what happened to
it, because it was a worthwhile approach -- quite a rigorous
page-based GUI very much in the style of Sibelius. Last release I
saw was not actually usable yet though.

Can't actually be any help with your real question I'm afraid: I've
never tried Finale under Wine.

Chris