Re: [linux-audio-user] latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] latency
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 23:02:27 EET

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 11:58:59AM -0600, Benjamin Flaming wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 12:17 pm, Polashek, Matthew wrote:
> > Interesting idea, however I don't feel that any problems are solved by
> > doing that. I am interested in using only one mixer for both monitors and
> > mains.
> >

> > What do you consider "a tiny bit"?
>
> Your milage will vary ;) It depends on the positions of the monitors,
> how loud they are, how loud the sound sources are, and how picky the
> musicians are. It's just that it's much harder to get away with delay in the
> monitors than it is in the mains.

Indeed. Rule of thumb - 1 ms delay is roughly equal to the delay
caused by 1 foot of distance. Aside from messing with the musicians'
groove, a few ms delay can cause comb filtering when combined with direct
sound from whatever the mics are pointing at. This can result in
smeary-sounding treble and mushy bass.

Personally, for my sense of timing, I think I can put up with anything
under about 10 ms but I get really annoyed above that.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com Look! Up in the sky! It's STINKY SNAZZY HORSE! (random hero from isometric.spaceninja.com)