Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa setup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa setup
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 19:03:40 EEST

Hallo,
Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:

> I'm confused about how to setup alsa. Originally I managed to get things
> working, but after buying an usb sound card, I'm even so confused that
> I'm not exactly sure what to ask, but I'll try.
>
> I run debian/unstable on a laptop with my own 2.6.4 kernel and alsa 1.0.
> I have the following hardware that I believe to be related to alsa:
>
> *Onboard i810 soundcard
> *USB Edirol UA-1A sound card
> *4 port usb hub
> *2 evolution usb-keyboards connected to the hub
> *I need one virtual midi port for each keyboard, so 2 for now

There is an option to the usb-audio modules which lets you specify,
which one should get wich card number. For that you need to specify
Vendor and/or product ids and also the "index" option to tell
snd-usb-audio, which device you be at which card position.

Here's some old info I found, which you could try:
http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg_raw.php3?msg_id=10163242

There are some errors in your config as well.

> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
>
> # i810
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
>
> # ua-1a
> alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss

You don't need the following line:
> alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
Just delete it.

> alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss
> alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
>
> # virtual midi 1
> alias snd-card-2 snd-virmidi
> alias sound-slot-2 snd-card-2
>
> # virtual midi 2
> alias snd-card-3 snd-virmidi
> alias sound-slot-3 snd-card-3
>
> #evolution 1
> alias snd-card-4 snd-usb-midi

There is no snd-usb-midi module anymore. You need to use
snd-usb-audio, but you already loaded that above, so you need that
"vid"-trick, that should be explained somewhere in the archives.

This is from the INSTALL file:

Module snd-usb-audio.o
----------------------

Module for USB audio and USB MIDI devices.

vid - Vendor ID for the device (optional)
pid - Product ID for the device (optional)

This would configure one slecial USB device as the second card
(index=1):

options snd-usb-audio vid=0x763 pid=0x1001 index=1

And I found this on the net for configuring two usb cards with fixed

options snd-usb-audio index=1,2 vid=0x0763,0x0582 pid=0x1110,0x0005

> alias sound-slot-5 snd-card-5
>
> #evolution 2
> alias snd-card-5 snd-usb-midi

See above. Same error.