Re: [linux-audio-user] pd vs. supercollider

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] pd vs. supercollider
From: Michal Seta (mis_AT_creazone.32k.org)
Date: Sat Apr 24 2004 - 00:12:19 EEST

Tim Blechmann <TimBlechmann_AT_gmx.net> writes:

> i'm aware of impd, well, i know that it exists and that won't work right
> now ... and that it's not sure if it will be only a branch or a second
> pd, that's not really related to miller puckett's branch any more ...

I know what you mean. However, similar thing happened when an
independent version surfaced in CVS. There are efforts to keep things
in sync with Miller's version but a lot of interesting developments
happened thanks to that branch (notably jack support). Hopefully, if
other developers accept impd's premise and actually agree with those
features and enhancements it may evolve and improve significantly. I
know that Mathieu would appreciate some help especially when a time of
merging audio changes into impd comes. I won't hide the fact that I
like the direction impd is taking. I just hope that the audio side
will not be competely abandoned. But I just discovered recently that
it's more stable with GEM (I had random crashes when going through
examples of pmpd in pd. did not crash once in impd).

> well, as hans-christoph pointed out, pd's developement is coordinated
> disorganization ...

well, I'm not sure about the 'coordinated' part. However, pd has come
a long way and I'm thankful for that.

--
	      _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta