Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Sample Rates / Sample Sizes
From: RickTaylor_AT_speakeasy.net
Date: Fri Jun 25 2004 - 01:06:43 EEST

On 24-Jun-2004 Mark Knecht wrote:
} Steve Harris wrote:
} > On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 07:51:04 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

} >>I'm sure you're right Rick. I was looking at some technical dither stuff
} >>yesterday. The noise floor different dithering plugins insert is not
} >>flat, or the same, over frequency, so that could certainly effect
} >>different types of music differently. I don't have a clue what the
} >>LADSPA dithering solutions are doing in this respect.

} > AFAIK there aren't any LADSPA dither plugins. Its very dependent on how
} > the float output is converted to int before sending to the card, and
} > LADSPA doesnt define that, so it doesnt make a huge ammount of sense.

} I misspoke really. I guess I should have just said Linux/Alsa/Jack
} dithering solutions. It's sort of immaterial to me whether dither is
} done within LADSPA as an output plugin in Ardour or done somewhere else
} like Jamin where maybe it's totally built in. My comment was intended to
} acknowledge my lack of specific technical knowledge in the environment
} that most people on this list work in. Clearly the idea that there is a
} float t int conversaion taking place is I guess pretty obvious when you
} talk about dithering, even to me, but LADSPA internals are certainly not
} my forte! ;-)

 I have a feeling that it's just plain not important to most folk using the
stuff. If I'm processing sound with something... it's just important that It
work. I'm generally too involved with my own concerns to analyze it to that
degree.

 {:}Sorta' like trying to explain Ohms law to me while I'm desperately trying
to save a failing harddrive.}

} Thanks for the clarifications though. It does raise an interesting
} difference between something like Ardour, I guess, and Pro Tools where I
} can insert a dithering plugin pretty much anyplace in the signal chain
} if I choose to. Maybe the RTAS standard makes some decision to go to int
} based on where the output is going? I don't know.
E-Mail: RickTaylor_AT_Speakeasy.Net
Date: 24-Jun-2004
Time: 17:00:02

This message was sent by XFMail