Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcards & preamps [a bit OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcards & preamps [a bit OT]
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 14:33:27 EEST

--- Christophe Vescovi <vescovi_AT_lpsc.in2p3.fr> wrote:
> R Parker a écrit :
>

> > I don't know what preamps would be ideal for any
> > remote work I'd be interested in doing. Doesn't
> RME
> > have some nice 1U or 2U stuff and isn't there a
> > Focusrite producer pack or something that includes
> > Blue mic? I imagine my strategy on a limited
> budget
> > would be to purchase 2 channels of something real
> nice
> > and eight more channels of whatever that I
> wouldn't
> > hesitate to toss in the garbage.
>
> For sure but for 500 € (or $) it is difficult to
> have two channel of a
> high end preamp. It is more around $1000 per
> channel for solid state
> preamp (Great River, John Hardy, Avalon, Millenia
> Media) and even more
> for tube preamps (Manley, DW Fearn). The only option
> is the FMR Really
> Nice Preamp (RNP), $500 (in the US !!) for 2 really
> nice mic preamps
> ;-) and very portable.

FMR looks interesting. Have you worked with their
stuff?

FMR isn't the only option for affordable high end
preamps. Check out the do it yourself (DIY) preamp
kits at http://www.hamptone.com/

I ran across Scott's preamp kit in a Tape Op
interview/article. I haven't used his gear but am
interested in it. He lives in Portland, Oregon but I
think he's from Minneapolis, Minnesota. If that's
correct, then I believe he was part of Amphebian
Records and a band called Halo of Flies. Before these
guys built their own studios they were recording their
albums at my studio with my partner Bill Bailey. This
would be the mid to later 1980s. :) Ah, growing old.

ron