Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcards & preamps [a bit OT]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Soundcards & preamps [a bit OT]
From: Christophe Vescovi (vescovi_AT_lpsc.in2p3.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2004 - 18:09:59 EEST

R Parker a écrit :

>>Interesting, but these are different beast, I think
>>the hamptone pre
>>must be much more colored (transformer, two stage
>>jfet amplifier) and
>>less versatile,
>

> I'm curious, could you explain what you mean by a lack
> of versatility?

Transformer input pre have they own sound, sometime it's what you are
looking for sometime not. It also depend of the kind of stuff you are
recording : people who do classical recording often prefer a cleaner
sound. You can always add some color after the take if you want, but
it's impossible to remove it .... Just like a compressor ...

> Reguarding "color", audio engineers purchase for it.
> The difference of sound quality between Avalon, Neve,
> Focusrite, Soundtrac, etc is obvious and I want them
> for their distinct qualities.

True, but I doubt that it would be their choice if they have to buy only
one preamp. But i'm not an audio engineer...

> The model I'm curious about is the HVTP2: 2 CHANNEL
> TRANSFORMER BALANCED TUBE MICPRE KIT. What is your
> take on that model?

Well, tube mic pre are almost always the same, a Xfrm and some tube
stage after. There are plenty of schematics on the net. What make the
difference is often the tube quality.

Christophe