Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Finale for Linux
From: Them (idragosani_AT_chapelperilous.net)
Date: Thu Jul 08 2004 - 21:55:02 EEST

reed wrote:

>> I think Rosegarden or NoteEdit are good contenders, and don't cost
>> you $500.00. And Rosegarden works with JACK and LADSPA plugins,
>> whereas Finale does not. And Finale can't do LilyPond. Finale's
>> PostScript output option is a piece of junk, IMHO.
>
> I agree any technical reason, any commercial dissents, but as a
> professional musician, I haven't enough time to typeset a score with
> lilypond... I tryied a lot, but for people that read music
> automatically Finale is really the best way of copying, transposing
> and making music.

Rosegarden can export to LilyPond, and it's a damn site nicer than
Finale's PostScript export. But printing stuff directly out of
Rosegarden works well also.

Finale also doesn't have any way of viewing or editing MIDI events
directly, AFAIK.

-- Brett

PS. The only way I can get decent PS output from Finale is to install a
PostScript printer driver then use that driver to print to a file.

--
Rule of Feline Frustration:
         When your cat has fallen asleep on your lap and looks utterly