Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux
From: stefano cardo (stefano.cardo_AT_fastwebnet.it)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 00:18:51 EEST

At 23.02 08/07/04, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Them wrote:
>> Don't count on it happening. And you don't need it on Linux anyway.
>>
>> I think Rosegarden or NoteEdit are good contenders, and don't cost you
>> $500.00. And Rosegarden works with JACK and LADSPA plugins, whereas
>> Finale does not. And Finale can't do LilyPond. Finale's PostScript
>> output option is a piece of junk, IMHO.
>
>But.

[...]

>Any sort of alphabetic medium for typesetting notes is about as "right"
>for a professional musician as it would be "right" for a programmer to
>somehow write programs in the language of musical score. So Lilyopnd is
>simply off track. It might be good for people working for publishers and
>typing notes in from existing drafts; but even they might want a visual
>tool instead.

that's right!!!!!!!!

>I'm not saying Finale is perfect. And perhaps having a Linux version is
>not the best solution. Perhaps the best solution is developing an open
>source Linux visual score editing-and-typesetting suite. It might even
>become better than Finale because, for example, of a good plugin
>structure.

I'm a musician so no idea about coding, but I really know what i need from a musical editor...

>However, I'm not a programmer, only a technical writer and a husband of
>a professional musician; I can write a spec, subscribe to LAD and start
>discussing it, but I can't write the code!

Good Idea!!

>Last time I tried the idea here; the general answer was "RG will be up
>to the task soon". But now, perhaps there are coders who would be
>willing to join a project for a dedicated note typesetting/editing tool?
>I can make a spec and join in a discussion, if there's any hope of
>implementing it.

While we think that the music tipesetting is a sort of MIDI managment, we are completely mistake!!!
Finale isn't used so much as a sequencer or MIDI interfaces...

For example here in the "Alla Scala" theatre of Milano, I've convinced some sound technicia to try Linux... It is incredible that in three months the passed from WISWIG to command line program...

There are two men in the musical archive that uses 8 hours a day finale for making changes to the orchestral scores and parts. After they work privately at home and what they still use? Finale.
And believe me, I've never listen any midi sound come from their office!!!

>Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

Thank you so much Mikhail for the deep understanding!!

ste

Stefano Cardo
Debian DeMuDi GNU/Linux User