Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Note typesetting for Linux
From: Michal Seta (mis_AT_creazone.32k.org)
Date: Fri Jul 09 2004 - 16:44:58 EEST

stefano cardo <stefano.cardo_AT_fastwebnet.it> writes:

> I'm a musician so no idea about coding, but I really know what i need from a musical editor...

And what is that?

> For example here in the "Alla Scala" theatre of Milano, I've convinced some sound technicia to try Linux... It is incredible that in three months the passed from WISWIG to command line program...

So did I. I still prefer to record with ecasound than with ProTools!

>> There are two men in the musical archive that uses 8 hours a day finale for making changes to the orchestral scores and parts. After they work privately at home and what they still use? Finale.

It's because they don't know and don't have time to learn (about)
anything else? Finale is the only tool they now. They're paid to use
finale. I use windows 8 hours a day at work because they pay me to do
so. I hate it, but I do. And if it were the only OS I felt
comfortable with I'd be still using it at home. Swearing at it and
using it just the same as most people I know do. Actually, I would
have bought a Mac, that's where I started.

I'm sorry but I don't think Finale or any clone of it should exist in
linux. It became a de facto standard because it used to be the only
decent quality consummer desktop music publishing app. Just because
most of linux users/developers come from Windows background does not
mean we should all go for the same kinds of solutions. A lot of them
are bad. I understand that users have certain work habits so some
middle ground needs be found... sometimes.

--
	      _
      __  __ (_)___   Michal Seta