Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake Packages

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mandrake Packages
From: Ruth A. Kramer (rhkramer_AT_fast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 24 2004 - 06:49:35 EEST

ejbjr wrote:
> > I don't know... I think Mandrake's pretty particular. You can't escape all of
> >the Mandrake rpms on the net though... I doubt you'd have a problem.

Agreed -- unless a .deb has been specifically packaged for Mandrake
(I've never heard of any) you don't want to use it. Likewise, you want
to use rpms packaged for the specific version of Mandrake you are
using. (There's a chance others would work, but I'd only try that as a
last resort.)

> Is there any way to download these packages so I can burn them to a CD
> and bring them home to my audio machine? Or maybe repackage them from
> the installed copy?

Yes. Not sure why when you click on the download link the package is
being installed -- are you doing the download within one of the rpm
managers (urpmi or similar)? Don't do it there, simply start the
download from, for example, your browser or an FTP program.

If you need "dependencies" download those the same way. (You can even
do this on Windows, burn the CD, then take the CD to a Mandrake machine
for installation.)

Randy Kramer