Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: OT: Microphone info
From: John Anderson (ardour_AT_semiosix.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 00:44:44 EEST

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 22:43, Alastair Couper wrote:
> Yes, I should state the intention. I have a SM58 knockoff (by Fender) that
> I use on hand drums. My interest de jeur is to record a female vocalist.
>
> I am an electrical engineer by education, so am amenable to freq charts,
> THD, spatial plots and such. But the "warm" thing seems to me empty. Seems
> like judicious EQ should get you what you want, given that the transducer
> is coming up with a clean reproduction to begin with. But then one gets
> into subjectivity and black magic again.

Don't forget transient response (condenser mics do it better) and
compression (tube preamps do it better).

> I am looking a Studio Projects B1, for instance.

I bought a Studio Projects C1 a few months back. The difference between
the C1 and my SM58 is enormous for things that have more high frequency
energy (shakers, tambourine etc), and noticeable for vocals, especially
female. I wouldn't use the SM58 for vocals anymore, but it still works
well as a guitar amp mic.

I played with a Rode NT3 and an AKG C414 a while back, and IIRC, the C1
is a little harsher, but that's probably the gentle glow of memory.

bye
John