Re: [linux-audio-user] Jamin question - peak hold in spectrum display?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Jamin question - peak hold in spectrum display?
From: Mark Knecht (mknecht_AT_controlnet.com)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 01:30:18 EEST

Jan Depner wrote:
> Mark,
>
> There is no peak hold on the HDEQ. There is a peak on the Spectrum
> display. I have changed my own default peak color to dark blue so I can
> see it more easily. The default is yellow I think.
>
> I have thought about the possibility of doing a slow fade on the HDEQ
> display but it is very problematic. I'm using the XOR graphics plane to
> draw and erase the curves. I haven't really done anything with a
> partial erase in XOR so I'm not sure how to do it. If I were working in
> the normal graphics plane (like the rest of the display) it would be
> easy. The problem there is that it takes too long to redraw the entire
> HDEQ display ten times a second. If I get a clue on how to do the
> partial erasure in XOR I'll look into it.
>

> Jan

Jan,
    Thanks for keeping it in mind for the future.

    This sort of stuff goes a long way toward driving you crazy. If you
play with Waves PAZ then you get used to stereo phase meters, peak/hold
stuff, all the goodies.

    While I'm sure not everyone can handle the CPU load, on my 3GHz
laptop Jamin is only running about 25% load when playing my wave files
using alsaplayer. I'd still need to add in a 2-channel HDD recorder to
write the output of Jamin (will you make a recommedation?) but that
won't take much CPU. Anyway, I can probably afford the extra cycles.

    Hey - why don't you add all this stuff anyway, upset everyone that
who's machines aren't fast enough, cause them to buy new machines and
then take credit for the improved economy? Do it before or after the
election if you have a certain political leaning! ;-)

Thanks!

- Mark