Re: [linux-audio-user] Jamin question - peak hold in spectrum display?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Jamin question - peak hold in spectrum display?
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 04 2004 - 01:15:19 EEST

On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 11:35:37 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
> Does Jamin have any facility to do a peak hold display where a
> second curve is drawn and is made up of the peak values displayed in the
> faster, currently existing curve? If so, how do I turn it on? This is
> useful when you're trying to get an overall feeling for the energy
> across time instead of what's happening at a specific instant.

Thats more what the Spectrum tab is for, but I've attached a simple patch
that hacks the frequency curve to be slower decaying (tweak dacay_rate to
change the speed) if you want to try it.

> FYI - right now the Gentoo version is 0.8.0 and there is an error
> message at startup about not finding lookahead_limiter_const_1906.so.

You need newer swh-plugins - but not too new, or the version of JAMin your
using wont run. Mea Culpa.

> I don't know about the sound yet but I must say that the basic tool
> compares pretty nicely to the Waves stuff I normally use. I'm currently
> mixing a CD and looking at using Jamin for my final version. Thanks for
> a nice tool.

The limiter that goes with that JAMin is broken. I wouldnt use it for any
servious work that has to go hard to the limit point. If you do want to
use the limiter, best to get a CVS JAMin and latest swh-plugins.

- Steve