Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?
From: Lee Revell (rlrevell_AT_joe-job.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 02:07:02 EEST

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:46, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > So, I am speaking more from my sysadmin background. Most Linux audio
> > users are more interested in intensively tweaking one box rather than
> > having to keep 100 of them just working. The requirements are very
> > different.
> >
> > A good compromise is compiling your own kernel from your vendor's
> > sources. Once you get it working, please post .rpms or .debs somewhere
> > for others to use, especially if you applied some patch to get a feature
> > that's not in the stock kernel. This is an excellent way for non-coders
> > to contribute a lot to the open source process.
>
> did you read my email? if you get debian source it creates configured
> package for you. there's no point in making it available because the
> whole point is to customize the kernel to your HW (which anybody can do,
> just as easily)

My main point was that removing things you don't need from the kernel
will not speed up your system. You don't need to remove anything to
customizing the kernel to your hardware, unless you just want it to
build faster and save a negligible amount of memory. All that needs to
be done to customize a kernel to a given hardware configuration is to
add the features that are missing from the stock kernel. This has the
added benefit that most people can install the .deb
and it will work.

Lee