Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] what window manager are you using?
From: Russell Hanaghan (hanaghan_AT_starband.net)
Date: Fri Aug 13 2004 - 04:25:25 EEST

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 16:07, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:46, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > > So, I am speaking more from my sysadmin background. Most Linux audio
> > > users are more interested in intensively tweaking one box rather than
> > > having to keep 100 of them just working. The requirements are very
> > > different.
> > >
> > > A good compromise is compiling your own kernel from your vendor's
> > > sources. Once you get it working, please post .rpms or .debs somewhere
> > > for others to use, especially if you applied some patch to get a feature
> > > that's not in the stock kernel. This is an excellent way for non-coders
> > > to contribute a lot to the open source process.
> >
> > did you read my email? if you get debian source it creates configured
> > package for you. there's no point in making it available because the
> > whole point is to customize the kernel to your HW (which anybody can do,
> > just as easily)
> >

> My main point was that removing things you don't need from the kernel
> will not speed up your system. You don't need to remove anything to
> customizing the kernel to your hardware, unless you just want it to
> build faster and save a negligible amount of memory. All that needs to
> be done to customize a kernel to a given hardware configuration is to
> add the features that are missing from the stock kernel. This has the
> added benefit that most people can install the .deb
> and it will work.
>
> Lee

I appreciate both points guys...

I think the main one to take from this is a classic;
"If it ain't broke, Don't fix it!" :)

I find myself digging into a perfectly tight operating system with all
the array of perfectly functional audio apps I use....and hours and
hours later sit there pissed off and frustrated because I didn't achieve
any noteworthy results from it all...and I only like to do so much
_learning_ at a time! :)

R~