Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] some thoughts about Linux audio software documentation
From: Erik Steffl (steffl_AT_bigfoot.com)
Date: Sat Aug 14 2004 - 06:43:42 EEST

LinuxMedia wrote:
>> Y'know what? All it would take would be for one demo recorded someplace
>> to generate a contract and people would be clamoring for linux audio.
>

> If you're talking about attracting people like *us*... Yes... But, if
> you're talking about everyone else...
>
> "Hi... I'm "Joe WindowsUser'. I just installed Linux."
>
> App_X didn't have sound, so I googled for 3 hours. Apperently, I need to
> run and "audio server" called "Jack". What's an "Audio Server"?
>
> I googled for three hours and found out how to use Jack.
>
> I must be forgetting something because it's still not working.
>
> After gigging all night, I still had time to google and find out that
> there a group called "Linux Audio Users". They will help me.
>
> Got my answer to why Jack isn't working... It was confusing and took 3
> hours to figure out. But now I can connect a mic and record some music.
> But my keyboard doesn't work... What's wrong?
>
> I googled for 3 hours and found out I need to connect "virtual ports"
> together. What the hell is a "virtual port".
>
> Linux Audio Users told me to use "KAConnect" to connect virtual ports.
> But all I saw was stuff like 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'...
> What the hell is 'Rawmidi 0 - EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)'? I connected my
> keyboard up the the midi port... where's my midi port in the list?
>
> The next day I got my answer... and everthing was connected up right.
> But they tell me I have to "load the wavetabe". Let me send an email to
> Linux Audio Users and see if they can tell me how to "load the wavetable".
>
> Is there anyone here that thinks we're ready for the "general public"?

   no. but we are ready. which is a lot better then just a year ago. I
mean the stuff you described above actually works! that's pretty
amazing, I was waiting for this moment for years (well, not _this_
moment but a moment few month go when I tried to setup recording and
everything worked!)

   now let me go google some more on sb live and full-duplex :-) [that's
not linux specific issue though, I think]

        erik