[linux-audio-user] Drum pattern creation.

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Drum pattern creation.
From: Alejandro Lopez (alex_osiris_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2004 - 16:37:39 EEST

Hi Frank,

I'm a drummer who has been studying and playing some of the genres you
mention. Generally I'd say that the best sequenced drum patterns I've heard
have been programmed by drummers with a few exceptions. I believe that you
too can be one of these exceptions.

If you are a performing musician, you will have drummer friends. If you are
not, my advice is that you rely on a school of music. I'd like to give
advice on what you should study in order to create nice patterns, rythms,
loops and fills. It's not very different from actually studying the
instrument to be honest.

Rythms: you need to know the different rythms that drummers actually use
when playing different styles! Best source, an experienced drummed friend.
Failing that, a drums teacher. It can be explained over the internet how
rock is usually played in 4 / 4, 8ths on the high hat, accenting the one,
two, three, four notes and playing the remainder one-and, two-and,
three-and, four-and as ghost notes, then the bass drum and snare could play
alternate quarters. But many rythms, even standard folk ones for instance,
are much more complex (even rock needs to be played in a richer fashion for
interest sake). If you go for the teacher option, just make him understand
what your goal is, so he or she will concentrate on typical rythms rather
than on wrist exercises!

Fills: you need to know the instrument and its technique for that. You will
need to study rudiments in order to create interesting sounding changes,
breaks, fills and so on. You will need to learn "snare rudiments" such as
"single roll, double roll, paradiddle, flam" so you can translate those
(mentally) to the different elements of the kit, then to the sequencer. Mind
you are lucky that at least you don't need to do it in real time like us
performing drummers :-)) The method we've all used to develop our technique
is one by Budy Rich called something like "Snare rudiments". If you have
your drummer friend or teacher explain how to use one of these books, I
guess a few hours of lessons should be enough for you to understand how it
all works. Then you will need to translate your strokes to MIDI velocities
in such a way that it sounds good. My experience is that you get best
results by translating real strokes from real fills, one by one. For
instance, you may have a fill consisting of 8 16ths snare strokes. Some
people would sequence the velocities for these notes by making a linear
"ramp" (quiet to loud). Well it sounds crap. One way that sounds good (the
one I know) is to try to emulate the drummer. On usual 4 / 4 tempos, you
usually play that in the snare by using an unfinished 9 stroke double roll,
that is R R L L R R L L (R for right hand, L for left hand). To translate
that, you will need at least 4 different velocities. If we name them A to D,
being A the loudest, you will then sequence A - C - B - D - A - C - B - D.
Reason is the drummer will rather naturally accent the notes that way so
tempo is kept even for fast rolls. The rudiment is like that so good tempo
and nice swing can be achieved naturally. In order to work out the way it is
actually played, you need this book of so called "snare rudiments" plus a
pair of drum sticks to tap on.. anything, really.

Best luck!!

Cheers,

Alex

Acepta el reto MSN Premium: Correos más divertidos con fotos y textos
increíbles en MSN Premium. Descárgalo y pruébalo 2 meses gratis.
http://join.msn.com?XAPID=1697&DI=1055&HL=Footer_mailsenviados_correosmasdivertidos