Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad_AT_laymusic.org)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 04:06:02 EEST

    Mark> Does Debian have an extra places to load modules at boot time? Gentoo
    Mark> has an extra place, /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4, where you can
    Mark> place instructions for this specific kernel, and one for 2.5, and
    Mark> another for 2.6. Possibly Debian has something extra like this and
    Mark> that's where the file is gettign loaded?

Yes, that turns out to be the case. There are files
/etc/modules-2.4.26 and /etc/modules-2.6.6. I have removed emu10k1
from both of these.

>> I think the next thing I'm going to try is booting 2.6.

I tried it before getting your email, and although lsmod looked much
more like what I expected, I still had all the same problems.

>> I tried that when I was struggling with recording, but I know
>> the answer to that one now.

    Mark> That's a pretty big change. This is solvable. Let's try and find
    Mark> what's loadign this driver.

We've found that, but we still can't find the regular alsa driver.
There aren't any sound drivers loaded at all now, and when I say
"modprobe snd-emu10k1", I get:

modprobe: Can't locate module snd-emu10k1

So it looks to me like I either have to figure out how to boot a
non-knoppix kernel or try the 2.6.6 knoppix kernel again now that it
isn't going to load the wrong modules.

So I'm now running 2.6.2, having finally figured out how to tell it
not to bother with the onboard soundcard or the obsolete emu10k1
driver, and lsmod looks like I expect, and timidity works, and
alsamixer and alsactl are doing what I expect with no error messages,
and I can start and stop /etc/rc.d/alsa with no errors, but I'm still
getting those errors out of pysol and pydance:

[me]# pysol
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/games/pysol/pysolaudio.py", line 229, in startServer
    self.audiodev.init()
error: unable to open audio: No available audio device
PySol: could not connect to pysolsoundserver, sound disabled.

[me]# pydance
0 joystick(s) found.
Loaded input configuration.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/games/pydance", line 36, in ?
    import dance
  File "/usr/share/games/pydance/pydance.zip/dance.py", line 9, in ?
  File "/usr/share/games/pydance/pydance.zip/player.py", line 5, in ?
  File "/usr/share/games/pydance/pydance.zip/arrows.py", line 10, in ?
  File "/usr/share/games/pydance/pydance.zip/arrows.py", line 17, in AbstractArrow
pygame.error: mixer system not initialized
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/lconrad
[me]#

Does anyone know what these could possibly be complaining about?

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad_AT_laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011