Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Mixers (maybe)
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 04:16:11 EEST

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:06:02 -0400, Laura Conrad <lconrad_AT_laymusic.org> wrote:
> [...]
<SNIP>
> Mark> That's a pretty big change. This is solvable. Let's try and find
> Mark> what's loadign this driver.
>
> We've found that, but we still can't find the regular alsa driver.
> There aren't any sound drivers loaded at all now, and when I say
> "modprobe snd-emu10k1", I get:
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module snd-emu10k1
>
> So it looks to me like I either have to figure out how to boot a
> non-knoppix kernel or try the 2.6.6 knoppix kernel again now that it
> isn't going to load the wrong modules.
>
> So I'm now running 2.6.2, having finally figured out how to tell it
> not to bother with the onboard soundcard or the obsolete emu10k1
> driver, and lsmod looks like I expect, and timidity works, and
> alsamixer and alsactl are doing what I expect with no error messages,
> and I can start and stop /etc/rc.d/alsa with no errors, but I'm still
> getting those errors out of pysol and pydance:

OK - just a second. I'm a bit confused. Even though all the stuff
above it working, do you have sound?

Also, are you running Debian or Knoppix? (Not that it matters) Looks
like you are using Knoppix, but installed on your system and not from
a CD? (I only use Knoppix for Live CD type edits, etc.) Don't know
where I got the Debian idea. I'm tired...

Anyway, if you are getting sound, and if alsamixer is working, bu you
have no snd-emu10k1 listing in lsmod, then it would appear that the
driver is compiled into the kernel? Not sure.

What does dmesg tell you this time? Does it say it has a driver? Or
does it say it cannot find one?

And as for pysol, I think it's using OSS emulation. Have you enabled
that? It may require a modprobe. snd_pcm_oss possibly? snd_mixer_oss?
snd_oss? Not sure...