[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Martin Habets (errandir_news_AT_mph.eclipse.co.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 17:14:27 EET

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 10:09:59AM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> While I agree with Jussi's comment that prototypes are expensive I
> still think this would be an interesting product to work on. Possibly,
> if we get a design together and make a couple of prototypes that work,
> and presuming there is enough of a market for it, maybe we can attract
> some contract manufacturer here in Silicon Valley or elsewhere to
> build it for us at lower cost. We might also license the design to a
> more well known company and let them make and sell this unit as an
> entry into the Linux world.

Why not start with a BeBoB based evaluation board? They are already
available, and I understand in time there will be Linux drivers for the
DM1000. I covers most of your wish-list, although there are licensing
issues using the software.

> As with most things where this might lead is unknown. What we have
> here are a lot of smart people who have an interest in *something*
> that we haven't exactly defined yet. I suggest that we try to take a
> poll on what sort of unit would be of the most interest to people.
>
> Some thoughts of mine, unprioritized and not representing what I want or need:
>
> Interface to PC - 1394, USB, private Ethernet?

Thinking of the hardware I think most people have:
- Even my 6 year old PC has a firewire port
- A lot of hardware still has USB 1.1 interfaces. This, and the USB latency
  issue lead me to discard this.
- 1 Ethernet port is available for most people, but is often in use already.
  Still, an extra private ethernet port would be a cheap option.
>From a cost perspective an ethernet PHY is still cheaper than a 1394 PHY.
Still, my preference would be to use 1394.

> Inputs - 2-xxx
> - analog
> - analog + mic preamp (direct or transformer coupled?)
> - spdif - 1-x
> - ADAT
> - word clock

No ADAT or word clock AFAIK on BeBoB.

> Ouputs
> - main analog out (with volume control)
> - 1-xxx headphone outputs (with volume control?)
> - spdif - 1-x
> - ADAT - 1-x
> - word clock
>
> Send/Returns - use normal ins and outs or something special?
>
> Sync - ability to sync to one of the inputs, word clock or internal crystal
>
> MIDI?

I agree with others on this: plenty of cheap boxes out there, so leave it
out (initially).

> There must be no limitation on using multiple boxes on the same
> 1394/USB bus. We should consider multiple PCs using different boxes
> (or even the same box in some limited way) on the same 1394/USB bus.

Are there any sybchronisation standards in this area that could be applied?

> 61883? MLAN?
>
> For me, augmenting the features in the DigiDesign 002R unit (1394
> interface, 1 spdif, 1 ADAT, 8 analog I/O with 4 mic preamps, 48V
> condenser power, 1 headphone, up to 96KHz) would be an interesting
> place to begin discussion. Alternatively we could do something much
> smaller too and think about multiple units to get the I/O count up.

I think it would be wise to go for a modular concept, with a small relatively
inexpensive base board that can be extended (using the 1394/Ethernet port).
Or does such flexibiliy add too much cost?

> That's enough to chew on, I think...

The other thing I'd like if it is bus-powered. One less adapter to drag
along.

Martin