Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 19:33:55 EET

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:14:27 +0000, Martin Habets
<errandir_news_AT_mph.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> Why not start with a BeBoB based evaluation board? They are already
> available, and I understand in time there will be Linux drivers for the
> DM1000. I covers most of your wish-list, although there are licensing
> issues using the software.

BridgeCo is a lot of great things, but one thing it isn't is Open
Source. That said, I agree that the DM1000 is probably a good starting
point for a program like this.

http://www.bridgeco.net/products/bebob/bebob.shtml

Are the specs for the DM1000 open enough for you guys to do development around?

I suspect that all of this technology from a single source company
doesn't come especially cheap, and if BridgeCo was to stop supplying
the chip then the project is dead. (I doubt this will be an issue but
the possibility should at least be discussed.

One potential positive is that I know the VP of System Development at
BridgeCo. Great guy and possibly interested in supporting something
like this.

- Mark