[linux-audio-user] Cheesetracker (or any other tracker) tempo questions

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Cheesetracker (or any other tracker) tempo questions
From: Mark Knecht (markknecht_AT_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 19:44:56 EET

Hi,
   My son and I are spending a Saturday morning together trying out
Cheestracker. He's used Acid Pro for a while but he needs something he
can run on his Planet box. Cheestracker seems to do most of the high
level things he wants to do, but we are having one conceptual problem
with it that is a non-issue in Acid - loop length vs. tempo.

   In Acid you can choose any loop you want as a starting point, paint
it in for a number of measures and then set the tempo that you want
the song to run at. Acid takes responsibility for resampling the loop
behind the scenes so that the loop plays right. (I.e. - starts and
ends on the beat.

   How do we do this in Cheesetracker? We've managed to load Acid
loops, creat instruments out of them, insert them into a pattern and
then play the pattern. (I was blind. My kid really reads menus and
gets what's there more quickly than I do sometimes. Cool!) However,
when we play a couple of loops against each other within the same
pattern they play at their default rates and they are not in time with
each other. This is stopping us from making any real song.

   I imagine that it's possible, probably, to do some sort of
resampling of every loop in the library to move them all to the same
tempo, but that would be a huge undertaking and would require you to
choose a specific tempo. What happens when you decide 98BPM isn't
right and you want 102BPM??

   Anyway, thanks in advance for any pointers. Maybe there is a way to
do this that we cannot find. (It's so automatic within Acid that you
almost forget that it's happening.) If not in this tracker, does this
feature exist in any other trackers that run on Linux? Would a tracker
developer (Juan?) be willing to work on a feature like this? (I hope
that's not necessary!)

Thanks,
Mark