Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]

Subject: Re: Behringer [was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more]
From: R Parker (rtp405_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 00:08:11 EET

Hi,

--- Mark Knecht <markknecht_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:58:57 +0100, Marek Peteraj
> <marpet_AT_naex.sk> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 19:28, Chris Metzler wrote:

> greater marketshare.
> > >
> > > Among pro-audio users? Can you show me the
> source for this claim?
> > > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > I meant overall marketshare.
> <SNIP>
> >I believe that the number of
> > pro audio hw customers that are also linux user
> lies somewhere between
> > 500-1000. It's a rough guess and it would be
> interesting to know more
> > precisely...
> <SNIP>

It's not a large number of users but it's a very high
quality user group. I think it's actually an
incredible accomplishment and love being part of it.
I've learned alot from Linux Audio people.

> Not fine grained enough...
>
> 1) # of Pro Audio users depending on Ardour for day
> to day recording.
> 0 or 1? (Ron - speak up!) ;-)

I know of several other pro audio users.

All my commercial audio work is done using Ardour and
JAMin. At the moment I've got three start to finish
full albums, two mix and master albums and two albums
for mastering in progress. I've got several four to
six song demos in progress. I've probably produced
start to finish two full albums, a half dozen start
to finish demos and mastered a bunch of stuff.

Within a week or two I expect another MPLS, MN Ardour
user and I to begin equiping a truck for remote pro
audio work and it will be a Linux Audio operation.

> 2) # of Pro Audio users using Linux soft synths?
>
> 3) # of Pro Audio users using Linux as a command
> line tool for
> pre/post-processing of wave files?
>
> Depending on the task the use may be much larger (or
> sadly smaller)
> than thought...

IMO, the number and quality of users and developers is
obviously big enough to qualify Linux Audio as an up
and coming contender. Someone else mentioned seeing
new users on the list almost daily. I've noticed the
same thing. We can keep doing exactly what we have
been doing and in due time we will have and be
everything we want.

These are great times for us and unless I am being
unrealistic I couldn't be happier.

ron