Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software Studio..to go! and GPL issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Fervent Software Studio..to go! and GPL issues
From: Chris Cannam (cannam_AT_all-day-breakfast.com)
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 15:10:18 EET

On Wednesday 15 Dec 2004 19:07, Christian Frisson wrote:
> I suppose Richard Bown is the head of both Fervent Software and Linux
> Musician.

Yes. He and I are the people behind both of these.

> I thought the GPL-license claimed you had the right to commercialize
> apps released under its terms if you make its modified source code
> available to anyone. Where am I wrong?

You're not wrong. The GPL is a bit more specific, of course, but that's
the general idea, and we certainly intend to uphold it.

We have ourselves released hundreds of thousands of lines of Linux music
software under the GPL during the last ten years, so even from a
selfish perspective we have an interest in enforcing the very license
that we choose to use for our own code.

Chris