Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI confusion
From: Robert Jonsson (rj_AT_spamatica.se)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 10:21:14 EET

Hi,

> On Sun, 2004-12-26 at 12:30 -0500, Joe Hartley wrote:
> > Programs default to the first MIDI device, which is on the Audiophile,
> > and not all programs will easily allow one to change the input device.
>
> Which programs are these, other than ZynAddSubFX? That's a bad bug,
> that would render such programs unusuable to a professional. And
> there's no excuse for it, it should be trivial to add support for
> selecting the MIDI device to use.

I beg to differ.

Selecting the input device is seldom interesting to do from the softsynth. The routing is primarily done by the host program or a specifically crafted routing app, like qjackctl or kaconnect.

Infact, when using lots of softsynths from a sequencer it is a nouisance when the softsynth has made a default connection to the input device. In my opinion, they should just register themselves (most have this as an option).

The only case where you want the synth to directly connect itself to another device is when you are
doing realtime playback from an external keyboard and not using any other stuff, more or less a special case.

/Robert