Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services
From: tim hall (tech_AT_glastonburymusic.org.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 29 2004 - 15:06:11 EET

Last Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:17, Lee Revell was like:
> > Hello Everybody - hoping your Old year is Excellent
> >
> > Is there a list that I could look at that would show all necessary
> > and unnecessary services in terms of Linux Audio. If possible I
> > would also like to see which files are to be editted for real fine
> > tuning of my workstation.
>
> While in general you should not run services you don't use, in this area
> Linux is a lot better than Windows.  Running unnecessary services should
> not interfere with audio performance.  Of course if they're usilg a lot
> of CPU you have that much less for DSP, but it's not line on Windows
> where you need to shut down all unnecessary services and the network and
> what not in order to not get underruns.

So far I have not found a useful one-page guide to this, so you'll have to
read up on each service individually to find out what they do. In practice
you can lose most of them. If you are running an old or underpowered PC like
I do, running unnecessary services surely does interfere with the performance
of the applications that you use for audio work (note wording). I nearly
migrated to GNOME with version 2.8, but Rosegarden4 is virtually unusable in
that environment on my machine, so I'm back to openbox3. The audio system is
fine, however waiting more than a minute for the 'JACK subsystem is losing
audio frames' dialog to recognise that you clicked the 'OK' button, is not.

cheers

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk