Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Unnecessary Services
From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.stanford.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 09:56:38 EET

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 20:08, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Russell Hanaghan wrote:

> >> [I don't understand the 'I don't want to try anything new' part... :-]
> >>
> > :) Kind of a contradiction considering where I'm writing to...

Yup...

> > What I mean is, I need that production box to work. So before I go
> > mess it all up, I want something stable ~ ish. At least as stable as
> > the mdk 2.6.7-mm.7 kernel has been.

I see. I would stick with 2.4.x if stability is the main concern. The
other option is to try a new 2.6.x in your hardware to see if it is
stable, impossible to predict beforehand. Easier if you have an extra
disk so you don't mess your current stable configuration.

> >> Ha, a "reliable RT kernel" does not really exist at this point in time
> >> (IMHO). The best low latency performance in the 2.6.x series can only be
> >> obtained by using Ingo Molnar's realtime preempt patch. The latest
> >> version (and maybe also the underlying 2.6.10-rc3-mm1 as well) is not a
> >> model of stability... But when it works, it works very well indeed.
> >>
> > ""reliable RT kernel" does not really exist at this point in time(IMHO)"
> >
> > It would seem this is true. But the 2.4 kernel was stable and
> > reliable. I'm sure 2.6 will get there too, even if it is 20 releases
> > away.

Oh yes, and it is (I think) much closer than that.

> >> Check out the top entries at the Planet CCRMA log:
> >> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/changelog.html
> >> There are now a couple of new kernels there, both bleeding edge (with
> >> the realtime preempt patch version 0.7.33-04) and conservative (vanilla
> >> 2.6.10).
> >>
> > Do these have the Realtime-lsm patch too? I don't want to run as root.
> > Give's me the willies! :)
>
> Never mind...read the website.
>
> WHat i dont see is how far into the FC3 builds you are? I see one failed
> build that you list...I wouldnt mind testing it out.

Comparing with fc2:
# bin/todofrom2
=== finding all existing packages for fedora 2
    273 /build/status/fedora-2
=== finding all existing packages for fedora 3
    144 /build/status/fedora-3
=== missing packages:
    114 /build/status/missing

So, still way to go... difficult to predict, some packages are easy and
suddenly you get some hard to solve problem. I have more "do not build"
packages, I just started listing them on the site.

Beware that I'm in the process of writing new install instructions for
fc2/fc3, it is much easier than the old install guide (when everything
works right, of course). Look at the recent changelog and mailing list
for more guidance.

-- Fernando