Re: [linux-audio-user] ams PCM input?

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 04:06:03 EET

Paul Coccoli wrote:
> How can I get the line in from my soundcard routed into ams? I tried
> adding a PCM IN module and a PCM OUT module, then connecting them
> together. I've connected the ams out to alsa_pcm playpack 1 and 2,
> and alsa_pcm captures 1 and 2 are connected to the ams ins (I did all
> that with qjackctl).
>
> I know jack and everything else are working because I can load the
> example_basic.ams patch, plug in my USB contoller, connect them in
> qjackctl and hear the output.
>
> What I want to do now is send the signal from my bass guitar into ams,
> then back out (i.e. use it as an effect processor).

Isn't ams a soft-synth that is controllable by MIDI? I don't think it's
capable of doing anything with PCM audio input, you'd need a MIDI keyboard or
something like Rosegarden to control it.

If you want to build an effects rtack for your bass, you should use jackrack --
it's lets you stack up LADSPA plugins like you would an effects rack and
process audio.

> Also, is there a module that will convert an audio signal to CV? I
> know MCV converts MIDI to CV.

That would be a real trick. MIDI is easy because it is a defined protocol with
a finite set of instructions... you are basically doing a digital-to-analog
conversion of MIDI control instructions to a defined set of voltages to control
a synth. There might be something out there, but I daresay it's probably not
software-based. You are probably better off getting a bass or guitar MIDI
interface and using that.

-- Brett