Re: [linux-audio-user] XFS on FC2; experiences, pointers?

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 19:02:09 EET

Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:50:44 -0700
> <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Yes. Take a look at the filesystem tests section on this page.
>> Mark Knecht did a few tests and the results are very interesting.
>>
>> http://myweb.cableone.net/eviltwin69/Arcana.html

> I wonder though: How old are these tests? What kernels were used for it?
> Skimming through the page i see a 2.4.19 kernel mentioned. Hmm, it would
> be interesting to try to see what results a modern 2.6.x RP kernel and ext3
> yield.. I'll try and see if i can get that test of his to run..

That would be very interesting. Mark did a fine piece of work making
these comparisons. His tests were run on 2.4 at -p256 -n3. Since we
can do much lower latencies now, -p64 -n2 would be interesting. As a
baseline, the vanilla 2.6.10 kernel runs pretty well.

Several kernel developers tell me that recent versions of ext3 are
much better in both disk performance and latency. I'd love to see XFS
and JFS numbers, too.

IIRC, Mark was running Benno Senoner's latency test...

  http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio/

--
  joq