Re: [linux-audio-user] LAU podcasting

From: Greg Wilder <greg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 20:42:51 EET

Mark Constable wrote:
> ... in fact if the gems weren't real gems I
> wouldn't bother much at all because of podjunk.

Podjunk - I love it...

> > Instead of inviting everyone to simply record descriptions of their
> > studio rigs, would it make more sense for the *community* to create an
> > interesting format as well as the content? Imagine a "community* built
> > and maintined padcast focused on Linux audio!
>
> That's interesting, like "our way of doing it" built
> from the ground up by community consensus.. so it's
> not only the LAU biased content but the delivery system
> that could be developed as well ?
>
> > Maybe a wiki segment, a gear review segment, edited segments directly
>
> That sounds like the canonical LAU portal I've been
> looking out for... for years.
>
> > contributed by Linux users as well as other listeners, software
> > development reviews, email question of the week, interviews with
> > developers, whatever.

I'm not exactly sure of the best way to go about this - but I imagine it might
work something like the slashdot model. The community would be invited to
submit readable articles along with personally created podcast content
segments that could then be edited together to form a larger show.

> > If we hope to gain listener interest in an effort to broaden the
> > community, we will need to put together an organized podcast that is both
> > entertaining and informative.
>
> Yes... but, if the bar to entry is too high then it'll
> discourage some potential contributors.

Not if the shows are put together in such a way that user created content was
included and encouraged. (Imagine professionally produced bumper cues
announcing the user submitted clips.) Podcasting shouldn't have content
limits - but if our goal is to educate and encourage Linux audio users, we'd
need to make sure we keep that as our objective. I agree with your
sentiment, but I still feel that an organized approach would be best.

> So if someone
> was primarily interested in MIDI then they could only, or
> mainly, subscribe to the MIDI feed and ignore the main
> incoming feed.

Sure - specific topic-based podcasts would work well. This might go some
distance in helping the FAQ of newbies. Note that it's possible for podcasts
to include an indexed list of show topics with timing marks. Maybe all the
podcasts could be delivered in sections which would allow for sections of
archived shows to be searched and downloaded with ease...

> > I'm a audio professional (www.gregwilder.com) in an unusual situation - I
> > have direct access to actors (read: voice talent & personality) in
> > Philadelphia/NYC who might very well be interested in contributing their
> > time in return for exposure.
>
> Would it be fair to say that exposuse alone would be enough
> reward for these kind of professionals to commit their time ?

Yes. Many of the younger actors I have the pleasure of working with would
eat-up an opportunity to have experience recording in a professional studio.
The exposure (along with a CD copy of their work) would be incentive enough
to get folks interested in a project like this. Besides - these folks *love*
to hear themselves talk! ;-)

> > My studio (www.steeprockmedia.com) runs 90%
> > GNU/Linux and is capable of better than broadcast quality. (Much of my
> > work produced using open-source tools has been heard on TV, radio, blah,
> > blah...)
>
> Wow, if you personally could be comfortable talking about
> how you go about using this system, and how you put it
> together, along with audio examples of your hints and tips
> then I'd be totally locked in on your feed.

I'll think about this - but it never occurred to me that there would be any
interest in the physical setup. Especially since it changes so frequently.
I would think the major interest would lie with the interesting ways users
create and adapt the software (through scripts etc.) to solve complex audio
problems.

> So there is no problem with you being able to wrap a quality
> wrapper (intro/breaks/outro) around peoples contributions ?

Yeah, I'd be willing to take it on - provided there was a community effort
behind the work. Maybe there'd even be a way to allow the LAU community to
"vote" on various bumper cue contributions?

Greg Wilder
www.gregwilder.com