Re: [linux-audio-user] Alsa source mixing

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 17:56:29 EET

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 16:29 +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Just guessing:
>
> They discovered that its possible to use dmix (with a global configuration)
> and that more and more apps support dmix in a stable way...
> And so they said, hey, why don't we create a general configuration for dmix
> and make it the default alsa device?
>
> Or was it just that newer ALSA version use and install dmix per default???

Probably both. I think it's hilarious that dmix has been around for
years and all of a sudden the distros discovered it and now it's the
latest and greatest new shiny feature. Maybe they knew about it and
didn't want to make it the default PCM until upstream ALSA made it the
default (for onboard el cheapo hardware anyway). I suspect they didn't
know it existed until recently.

Lee