Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour and Linux Audio presentation

From: R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 18:41:57 EET

--- Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> One of the coolest things you can do with Ardour and
> JAMin is to run
> mixing and mastering at the same time. Start Ardour
> and JAMin, route
> your Ardour master bus out to JAMin's inputs, route
> JAMin's outs back to
> a new stereo track in Ardour.

or to a stereo bus which eliminates two steps;
realtime record pass and subsequent export. Or is that
one step... :) precoffee letters reveal my stupidity.

  You can tweak single
> tracks and the
> mastering controls at the same time. Even if you
> don't run the JAMin
> outs back to Ardour you can still check out the
> mastered sound and be
> able to adjust single tracks. I don't know if
> there's any combination
> of apps that will do this on Windows or Mac. Once
> the OSC stuff is
> working well you'll be able to automatically queue
> scene changes from
> Ardour to JAMin. Ron Parker has been testing this
> and I don't know
> where it stands at the moment.

The LADSPA OSC plugin JAMin Controler is working. This
implementation is probably proof of concept. Ardour is
slated to have internal OSC at some point. That and
some other fixes and features will make the strategy
competitive with the best available solutions. I'm
talking about shit that costs $10,000.00.

I've explained a concept of Chunks to Paul Davis that
would enable us to manage multitrack sources for many
songs. Multitrack source mastering currently is proof
of concept because mastering is about controling the
loudness of many songs and not one song. We handle one
multitrack source very well right now. I need to file
a feature request in mantis that explains the idea in
greater detail. What we have today with multitrack
source capabilities and OSC demonstrates that JACK,
Ardour and JAMin combined do what no other tool set
does.

Multitrack mastering is fine and dandy but the JAMin
part of mastering a well produced mix is a 30 second
job. So stereo files are fine if the work is high
quality.

The remaining weakness is in producing the Table of
Contents for the CD and freewheel export direct to CD.
The Ardour locations interface is the key to that
realm. It's been discussed but a mantis feature
request is probably a good idea.

The above concepts when properly implemented will
enable engineers to focus on musicians and producers
rather than production details. It's a very important
concept.

I used to have Ardour mixing and mixing mastering demo
sessions but they are probably trash by now. I'm
working on new materials. I recently hired a
professional video producer and camera person and
filmed a very nice production in my studio using
Ardour. These materials are a replacement for the book
I started in 2001 but can't stand to work on. All of
this is intended to be mulitimedia presentation for
audio engineering and production.

Anyways, I'll shutup before ramblings drift way out to
topics like fishing and sexual kinks or the first
lunar launch.

ron