Re: [linux-audio-user] realtime-lsm in Andrew Morton's latest kernel patchset

From: Jack O'Quin <joq@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 18:42:27 EET

Bengt Gördén <bengan@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Ok. Let me see if get this right (I'm sort of new to mixing linux and
> audio but not new to linux or audio). It is the realtime-lsm patch
> that is to be tested, right? If so, and you/we need more people on the
> "I'm-happy-with-this-patch". I'm one of the happy users. I use it on a
> (crappy) laptop and it runs fine. Or should I report my success to the
> kernel list in some way?

Glad to hear it. This is enough.

> My system:
> hardware: ACER Ferrari 3000
> kernel: 2.6.10-gentoo-r6
> realtime-lsm: 0.8.5 (-r1 in gentoo)
> alsa: 1.0.6

That's good to know.

At this point, I'm mainly interested in results using 2.6.11-rc3-mm2,
because that is the exact version Andrew is merging with the mainline
kernel. Only those comfortable with and interested in building
development kernels should try that.

The main reason we asked Andrew to include this LSM in the kernel is
that it's difficult to keep patches working as each new kernel version
comes out. Once in the kernel tree, that happens automatically.

Many kernel developers opposed this. It *is* something of a hack.
But, no one has been able to come up with a better solution, and this
one at least looks safe. I expect it to be replaced by something
better in the 2.8 timeframe.

--
  joq