Re: [linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 12:30:49 EET

Hallo,
Marije Baalman hat gesagt: // Marije Baalman wrote:
> I like SC as it gives possibilities to dynamically change a lot of
> things over time, and you can build really complex algorithms with it.
> I am sure that in Pd a lot of the same things would be possible, but it
> needs a quite different kind of programming strategy to do so.

Actually I think, those are the things that are a bit harder to do in
Pd than in a textual language as SC is. As Atte mentioned, for example
Pd doesn't do dynamic voice allocation. The design of Pd just works
differently in this regard: You have to code every voice you are going
to need. That's not hard, as there are language features to help with
doing that, but it's definitely not the automatic, batteries included
way of Csound or SC in this regard. Also if you intend to change the
structure of your synthesis engine while it's running, this probably
is better done in SC.

Pd however really shines when it comes to glueing stuff together. I
know of no other free multimedia software that supports such a wide range of
possibilities to connect to "the outside world".

For example: There's no need to use the Pd synthesis part at all, you
can just write your algorithms in SuperCollider and use Pd as a GUI
for SC. The advantage is, that Pd also is a RAD-GUI-Designer tool,
whereas in SC you need to first write a textual description of your
SCUM GUI, if I understand this correctly.

Then afterwards you can hook up a webcam to Pd, analyze its frames and
control SC in turn by using the webcam's input. Similarily maybe Pd's
"data structures" could be used instead of WONDER to design Wavefield
sound paths, which then can be visualized directly in Pd as OpenGL
graphics. The cool thing would be, that basically all of this uses the
same paradigm for programming.

So even if one ends up with and prefers a textual language instead of
a graphical patcher, that knowledge learn when using Pd is not in
vain and can be used to solve problems hard to solve with a text
editor.

Because of all this Pd with all its shortcomings is in such a wide use
and just pops up literally everywhere, even where you don't expect it
to be at all. For example at the "Girbaud fashion show" under the
beautiful feet of too skinny french women as proven here:

http://www.la-kitchen.fr/download/mfg

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38