[linux-audio-user] Splitting while recording

From: Dubphil <dubphil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 13:01:03 EET

Hello,

Yesterday was my very first experience in live recording under Linux.
Everything was fine during the record :
I was just using this audio chain :

Basicaly, with the help of jackd
I run TerminatorX connected to Ecasound
Ecasound is connected to AMS
AMS is connected to MuSE where I do the recording.

In MuSE the sound in the vu meter was going very rarely on the first graduation
of the red so I thought it was ok for the level setup.

So I've started the recording and everything was quite stable
(TerminatorX has crashed one time but this arrive sometimes even when I
don't record).
At the end of the recording (79 minutes) I did stop and quit all apps.

I wanted to hear the result but here was my first surprise :

xmms and alsaplayer was unable to open the wav files of the recording,
Rezound was able to open it with an error but was able to play it
althought.

And here was my second surprise, the sound was fully saturated : the MuSE
vu meter didnot reflect the real audio level of the recording !!

Now the subject of this post : My system is not enough stable to play
with big files about 1Go !

Is it normal ?

I have a gentoo with gentoo-sources 2.4.18 (givertcap installed)
it is a pentium 4 2.66GHz 512 Mo DDRAM 80Go ide HD

in another way, can we imagine a system like that :

during the recording, a "hot key" could be assigned to split the
recording in a new file. So at the end we would have several files that
we could play on a playlist and work on it easily.

This would be a great feature for people like me that have more a DJ
approach to the music than other traditional musicians. this splitting
should not of course give a gap beetween the file in order to keep the
continuity of the mix. But this can be resolve by pasting the files in a
sound editor just before the burning process or perhaps even during the
burning process.

Just an idea...

Philippe