Re: [linux-audio-user] Splitting while recording

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 12:46:17 EET

Hallo,
Dubphil hat gesagt: // Dubphil wrote:

> Yesterday was my very first experience in live recording under Linux.
> Everything was fine during the record :
> I was just using this audio chain :
>
> Basicaly, with the help of jackd
> I run TerminatorX connected to Ecasound
> Ecasound is connected to AMS
> AMS is connected to MuSE where I do the recording.

I just wonder: Why don't you record in ecasound? I'd say, running MuSE
just for recording could be a bit overkill. And ecasound is a really
useful and stable recording software and also very configurable.
> in another way, can we imagine a system like that :
>
> during the recording, a "hot key" could be assigned to split the
> recording in a new file. So at the end we would have several files that
> we could play on a playlist and work on it easily.
>
> This would be a great feature for people like me that have more a DJ
> approach to the music than other traditional musicians. this splitting
> should not of course give a gap beetween the file in order to keep the
> continuity of the mix. But this can be resolve by pasting the files in a
> sound editor just before the burning process or perhaps even during the
> burning process.

Although with the help of jack-transport it might be possible to do a
sample-exact switching of soundfiles during recording, in this case
I'd probably try to keep a bit of overlap between both files. That is,
you could run two ecasounds and start recording in one, then stop
recording in the other afterwards.

Ciao

          _ __latest track: "scans" _ http://footils.org/cms/show/41