Re: [linux-audio-user] Splitting while recording

From: Dubphil <dubphil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2005 - 16:06:20 EET

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 11:46:17AM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I just wonder: Why don't you record in ecasound? I'd say, running MuSE
> just for recording could be a bit overkill. And ecasound is a really
> useful and stable recording software and also very configurable.

Thanks Frank to point me on that, sorry for having bad reflex inherited
from a too long Windows music utilisation :)
Promise I will make a desintoxication cure of graphical frontend !

So as you said ecasound is a charm for this :

with this :

ecasound -G:jack,recasound,notransport -i jack -o dubphil-live.wav

the recording is smooth and the result is perfect ! In fact quite
perfect... the wav file is in mono, but I will quickly find how to get a
stereo file.

conclusion : MuSE needs definitly a lot of work...

> Although with the help of jack-transport it might be possible to do a
> sample-exact switching of soundfiles during recording, in this case
> I'd probably try to keep a bit of overlap between both files. That is,
> you could run two ecasounds and start recording in one, then stop
> recording in the other afterwards.

I would like a minimum of human interaction like just hitting one key,
I've got not enough time during the live act to rename the next file for the
ecasound command and stop the running ecasound with ctrl-c. Perhaps I
will upgrade my RAM to 1Go; I think it is the memory the guilty isn't it
?

Thanks again

Philippe