Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

From: Jeremiah Benham <jjbenham@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 21 2005 - 22:10:14 EET

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 10:11:48AM -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> I have an amd64 running in 64 bit mode. There honestly isn't much
> reason to get a 64 if you are going to run in 32 bit mode...They are
> way more expensive than the 32 bit counterparts and don't offer enough
> extra in 32 bit mode.

I also considered going to 64 bit. What flavor of linux are you using? I
know you can't run 32 bit and 64 bit applications on the same machine.
That is unless you have both the 32 bit and 64 bit libc installed. That
seems confusing as if you are just asking for trouble. I am wondering if
gentoo would be the best bet for amd64. I am currently using debian but
I don't think that debian has ported all their packackes over to 64 yet.
I guess I would have to look to see what packages are there before
switching to gentoo. I have nothing against gentoo or anything. I just
like how fast apt is compared to portage.

Thanks,
Jeremiah