Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 12:31:25 EET

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 10:11:48 -0800, Noah Roberts wrote:
> I have an amd64 running in 64 bit mode. There honestly isn't much
> reason to get a 64 if you are going to run in 32 bit mode...They are
> way more expensive than the 32 bit counterparts and don't offer enough
> extra in 32 bit mode.

The AMD 64 in 32bit mode is still a faster chip than the (real) 32bit
Athlons. I'm not sure how it stacks up to the P4.

> So, if you want to build an audio machine I would not necissarily get
> an AMD64. In fact I have recently been thinking of replacing mine
> with a 32 so it works better.

Just run it in 32bit mode. AFAIU the new Athlons will be/are just AMD64
chips with 64bit mode disabled. By running it in 32bit mode you loose the
wide pointers that are the downside of 64bit processors, but you still
have the fast RAM access and big cache.

- Steve