Re: [linux-audio-user] AMD64 with Linux audio applications?

From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 20:42:20 EET

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 10:37:21AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:51:36 +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>> > Our Dual-Opteron machine is soo damn fast I couldnt believe
>> > it at first. We're having internal jokes that AMD is a problem
>> > for sysadmins, since one doesn't even find the time to get a coffee
>> > anymore :-).. OTOH, I am probably biased since I only worked with
>> > Opteron so far which as I understand it performs quite a bit better
>> > than its smaller brothers...
>> Damn. I was hoping the Athlon would be as fast as the opteron :( You're
>> right, the opteron is scary-fast for the price.
>
> to get an idea how fast this type of scary-fast is in some sort of units
> ... how long does a kernel compile take?

kernel compiles aren't very expressive as long as you dont specify a
particular config. There is a huge difference between a so-so kernel and
say one which has all modules built...

Extracting a 2.6.10 tarball, running make menuconfig once, without
changing anything and just saving, and then "make -j4 bzImage" results in:

Kernel: arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage is ready

real 1m50.664s
user 3m7.761s
sys 0m28.861s

Yes, that is below 2 minutes real time on a 2CPU opteron.

--
CYa,
  Mario