Re: [linux-audio-user] OT Spam

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 22:38:39 EEST

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Arnold Krille wrote:

>> Its just one way to reduce spam. I do think list managers should
>> protect thier users. This one doesn't?
> We don't talk about "the" list archive.

As maintainer of the "official" archive, we do hide email addresses in the
archives - please see latest archives for examples at:

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2005/03/

This has been in place already for at least 3-5 years -- I cannot remember
the exact date when we started email address hiding.

I've also sent requests to the list asking all unofficial archive
maintainers to take the spam issue into account.

> You went out to the public ;-) install and train spamassasin/bogofilter and
> don't worry about spam any more. And don't buy the pills you get offered...

I used my previous address for +10 years and it is now getting 200-400
spams a day. Sure I can filter it, but looking for false-positives is just
impossible with this much spam coming in. So I've now gone through with
the painful operation of changing my address, and now get a lot less spam
(actually almost none). I know I won't be spam free forever, but any steps
to slow down the spam flood is _very_ welcome. Hiding addresses in openly
available archives is one easy step to take - less spam to filter,
everybody wins.

--
  http://www.eca.cx
  Audio software for Linux!