Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Menu Icons

From: Emiliano Grilli <emillo@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 20 2005 - 10:39:39 EEST

marted?, 19 aprile 2005 alle 11:10:30, Link ha scritto:
> I agree--menu entries with icons are very important for a smooth
> introduction to the linux audio jungle. I will work on GIMPing some and
> get them to you.

Hi,

As I said to Tim privately, the best route to achieve high quality icons
that can be reused and rendered in a variety of formats and sizes is to
have a vector master. This allows also to combine easily various parts
of different icons, etc...

Look at this tutorial:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/14703295/

So I would use inkscape or sodipodi to make the icon and then export it
and render it, resize it , etc... with gimp: having an svg vector
master of the icon is essential to avoid duplication of effort and to
get something that can be scaled without loosing quality (ie. gnome
supports svg for icons, and they can be resized at will)

The very difficult task is to make something that looks good at 16x16,
32x32, 64x64, etc... while preserving its intelligibility.

And I agree that good icons are very important.

> Link

Just my 2 cents ;)
Best regards

--