Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: More Homemade Muzak

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Tue May 17 2005 - 23:04:10 EEST

On Tue, 17 May, 2005 at 07:08AM -0600, Steve D spake thus:
> First, Steve Do wrote:
> > > Drums are a real weak spot with me. I have a good sense
> > > of rhythm and I always wanted to be a drummer instead
> > > of a keyboard player (but my mom and dad forced me to
> > > take piano lessons). I love Hydrogen but I always
> > > feel that if I were to try to add a drum part it would
> > > sound ultra-cheesy and unrealistic.
>
> Then, on Tue, May 17, 2005 at 12:42:47AM -0400, LinuxMedia wrote:
> > When I actually have everything set up the way I want it and get ready
> > to make music, I will probly eventually look into electric drum pads (or
> > whatever you call them). I'm assuming they are all midi. Would midiable
> > drum pads help to make it more musical for you (assuming one could use
> > the drum pads to trigger sounds via midi and a linux sequence/sampler)?
>
> MIDI drum pads kits are great and very versatile. I have a drummer
> friend who uses them all the time for recording and I've known drummers
> who also use them for live performance. However, they require a drummer's
> skill and technique with drum sticks. As a keyboard player I don't
> possess those skills, as much as I would like to have them.
>
> But your email gave me an idea. Rather than use Hydrogen (which I really
> like) or another percussion program to produce drums for any particular
> piece of music I'm working on, I could simply use one of the percussion
> kits in one of my MIDI tone generators, which maps a whole array of
> percussion from bass drums to snares to toms to hi-hats to everything
> else, to the various keys of a MIDI keyboard. Then I can simply use the
> keyboard skills I already have to "play" the drums in real time and
> accompany my already recorded tracks of piano, organ, etc.
>
> While this idea may seem obvious to some, I had not really seriously
> considered it before. But it might work and I think I'm going to try it.
> Thanks for the nudge in that direction. ;-) Best wishes,

Watch this guy: http://dis-dot-dat.net/keyboard-drums.mpg

At first, it just seems very cheesy, but then...

This is rock and roll!

Oh, and I probably shouldn't be hosting this file, since it's the
property of a company that probably cares about things like copyright,
so it probably won't stay there for more than a week or so.

> Steve D
> New Mexico US

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)