[linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

From: Steve D <groups@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2005 - 09:38:36 EEST

I try to learn the amazing wealth of Linux tools for musicians and
digital-audio recording a little at a time. The last couple days I've
dug into the Hydrogen drum sequencer and, finally, the imposing and
daunting Ardour.

Anyway, here is a rough draft of one of my pieces (I'm a musician, not
an accomplished mixer/masterer):

http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/lonesome_butte.ogg

The drums are pure Hydrogen, using its default drum kit. All
digital-recording was done in Ardour and the session was exported to
.wav file, then encoded to OGG using oggenc.

Hydrogen
--------
I was nervous about trying to create a believable drum part using a
sequencer. I'm not a drummer and I felt it would sound very mechanical
and awkward. However, Hydrogen's "human feel" time smear and velocity
variation in the FX section of the mixer helps a lot.

Ardour
------
I had put off learning anything about Ardour for a long time. I was
scared of its seeming complexity. However, by concentrating at first on
just the features that I needed to understand in order to record
something, it wasn't as hard as I thought. It will take time to learn
the program well though.

Anyway, it sure is fun playing with these and other programs. I'm very
impressed with all the great audio-oriented stuff available to Linux
users and very grateful to the developers who create the tools.

Steve D
New Mexico US

A computer without a Microsoft Operating System is like a dog
without bricks tied to its head.